The Great Indoors is a American sitcom television series created by Mike Gibbons, starring Joel McHale in his lead role. It was produced by Gibbons Bros., Shiny Brass Limp Productions and CBS Telvision Studios, also distributed by CBS Telvision Distribution.
The series was aired on October 27, 2016 and concluded on May 8, 2017 lasting only one season and 22 episodes.
Almost a month later on November 14, 2016, it was picked up for a full season of 19 episodes. On January 6, 2017, an additional 3 episodes were added, making it a 22 episode season.
On May 13, 2017 CBS decided to cancelled the series after one season.
Jack Gordon has made a name for himself as an adventure reporter for the magazine Outdoor Limits. His days of exploring the world end when the magazine's founder, Roland, announces its move to web-only publishing and assigns Jack to supervise the millennials who make up its online team of so-called journalists.
- Joel McHale as Jack Gordon: a globe-trotting adventure reporter now in charge of his magazine's publishing department
- Stephen Fry as Roland: an outdoorsman in his own right and founder of the magazine
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Clark: a tech nerd who knows everything about surviving on Mars and a zombie apocalypse yet has not been out of the city
- Christine Ko as Emma: the social media expert who views Jack as the human version of dial-up
- Shaun Brown as Mason: a hipster who has not spent any actual time outside
- Susannah Fielding as Brooke: Roland's daughter and Jack's ex-girlfriend and current boss
- Chris Williams as Eddie: Jack's best friend, who runs the local bar and helps him understand his co-workers
- Deborah Baker Jr. as Esther: the quirky receptionist in the Outdoor Limits office
- Andrew Leeds as Paul
- Maggie Lawson as Rachel
Episode number Edit
The network placed a pilot order on January 29 and a series order on May 13, 2016. The series premiered in the 2016–17 United States network television schedule and aired at 8:30 pm. Almost a month later on November 14, 2016, it was picked up for a full season of 19 episodes. On January 6, 2017, an additional 3 episodes were added, making it a 22 episode season.
The Great Indoors has received generally mixed reviews from television critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 45% based on 29 reviews, with an average rating of 5.1/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Great Indoors serves up one repetitive, formulaic joke, though the cast performs respectably within the significant constraints of the material." Metacritic reported a score of 51 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The show attracted criticism for portraying Millennials as more easily offended and more sensitive than older generations.
- The Great Indoors on Wikipedia