The Andy Griffith Show was a CBS network sitcom created by Sheldon Leonard, starring Andy Griffith as the title role. It also starred Ronny Howard, Don Knotts and Frances Bavier.
The show first premiered on October 3, 1960 which aired on Monday evenings throughout its entire run. During the series' run, it consistently placed in the top 10 in the Nielsen ratings.
During its run, "The Andy Griffith Show" has also won Emmy awards. Don Knotts and Frances Bevier has won Emmy awards for their supporting roles on the show. It has also launched the spin-offs: "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." and "Mayberry R.F.D.".
On April 1, 1968, "The Andy Griffith Show" ended after 8 seasons and 249 episodes.
The show was about widower Sheriff Andy and his son Opie living with Andy's Aunt Bee in Mayberry, North Carolina.
With virtually no crimes to solve, most of Andy's time is spent philosophizing and calming down his cousin Deputy Barney.
- Andy Griffith as Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts as Barney Fife [seasons 1-5]
- Ron Howard as Opie Taylor
- Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor
- Howard McNear as Floyd Lawson
- Hal Smith as Otis Campbell [seasons 1-7]
- Betty Lynn as Thelma Lou [seasons 1-5]
- Aneta Corsaut as Helen Crump
- Jack Dodson as Howard Sprague
- Hope Summers as Clara Edwards Johnson
- Howard Morris as Ernest T. Bass
- Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle [ 4 ]
- George Lindsey as Goober Pyle [season 6]
- Jack Burns as Warren Ferguson [season 6]
- Paul Hartman as Emmett Clark [season 8]
- Parley Baer as Mayor Roy Stoner
- Dick Elliott as Mayor Pike
- Clint Howard as Leon
- Elinor Donahue as Ellie Walker [season 1]
- Maggie Peterson as Charlene Darling
- Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
- Ken Berry as Sam Jones [season 8]