Newhart was a CBS network sitcom created by Barry Kemp, starring Bob Newhart that premiered on October 25, 1982.
The show also starred Mary Frann, Julia Duffy, Jennifer Holmes, Tom Poston, Steven Kampmann, Tony Papenfuss, Peter Scolari, William Sanderson and John Voldstad.
The show was a solid ratings winner, finishing six out of eight seasons in the Nielsen top 25 at its highest rating of number 12 for two consecutive seasons from 1986 to 1988.
On May 21, 1990, "Newhart" came to an end after 8 seasons & 184 episodes.
Despite the show not finishing in the top 30 for its last two seasons, Bob Newhart stated in an interview with the Archive of American Television that CBS was satisfied enough with the show's ratings to renew it for a ninth season in 1990.
However, Newhart (who was anxious to move onto other projects) declined the offer, promising CBS that he would develop a new series for the network in which he was under contract to do. This resulted in the 1992 series "Bob" which lasted for only two seasons.
"Newhart" has received various Emmy Award nominations including "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series" for Bob Newhart and "Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series" for Julia Duffy.
It was also nominated for Golden Globe Awards for "Television Series: Musical or Comedy", "Actor in a Television Series: Musical or Comedy" and "Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television".
The show was about book writer Dick Loudon and his wife Joanna who decide to leave their life in New York City and buy a little inn in Vermont where Dick eventually becomes a local TV celebrity as host of the show "Vermont Today."
- Bob Newhart as Dick Loudon
- Mary Frann as Joanna Loudon
- Tom Poston as George Utley
- Julia Duffy as Stephanie Vanderkellen [seasons 2-8]
- Peter Scolari as Michael Harris [seasons 3-8]
- Steven Kampmann as Kirk Devane [seasons 1-2]
- Jennifer Holmes as Leslie Vanderkellen [season 1]
- William Sanderson as Larry
- John Voldstad as Darryl
- Tony Papenfuss as Darryl
- Thomas Hill as Jim Dixon
- William Lanteau as Mayor Chester Wanamaker
- Todd Susman as Officer Shifflet
- Fred Applegate as J.J.
- Ralph Manza as Bud
- Kathy Kinney as Miss Prudence Goddard
- David Pressman as 'Mr.' Art Rusnak
- Jeff Doucette as Harley Estin
- Cliff Bemis as Paul
- Linda Carlson as Bev Dutton
- Melanie Chartoff as Dr. Mary Kaiser
- Rebecca York as Cindy [season 2]